Home » Developer & Programmer » Forms » Displaying a single block item across the form repeatedly
Displaying a single block item across the form repeatedly [message #167167] Tue, 11 April 2006 10:47 Go to next message
corus
Hi there,

I am using Forms Developer 6i on a 10g database.
I have got a form with different blocks, each block having a few items.

I have assigned one of these blocks to its own Canvas. The canvas is form-like, not tabular. There are 8 block fields on the canvas, which are each repeated a number of times on the form, using the Records properties with 'Distance between records' option set to '90' and 'Number of Items Displayed' set to 4.

This means that I am getting 8 items followed by the same 8 items below these, 4 times. My question is now, is it possible to use these same settings to continue repeating the block items as I have done here, but having the fields repeat downwards AS WELL AS repeating to the right of the initial fields. This meaning I have several columns on the form showing the next records for the same fields.
As it stands now, to bypass my problem I need to create exact same blocks with exact same items. The only difference would be the block name (B1, B2, B3, ...). Each block would request a number of records for these 8 items. Let's say the first block would request the first 10 records, the second block would request the next 10 records, etc...

This is getting too complicated when adding more functionality to the form.

It is quite hard for me to explain in words what I am trying to do, so I hope you get the general idea. If not, I would be happy to reiterate my problem.

Thank you and Regards,

Michael
Re: Displaying a single block item across the form repeatedly [message #167213 is a reply to message #167167] Tue, 11 April 2006 21:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
djmartin
Account Moderator
On your block, change the 'record orientation' to 'horizontal'.

David
Re: Displaying a single block item across the form repeatedly [message #168945 is a reply to message #167213] Mon, 24 April 2006 05:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
corus
Thank you David,

this partially solved my problem. I take it there is no way of mixing Horizontal and Vertical orientation, such that records would move horizontally, then continue one column down horizontally again, etc...

Michael
Re: Displaying a single block item across the form repeatedly [message #169256 is a reply to message #168945] Tue, 25 April 2006 23:37 Go to previous message
djmartin
Account Moderator
Assuming you have 8 items per record and you want ten across the canvas and four down the canvas, you could build a form using a non-database block with 8 * 10 * 4 items defined and then populate them manually. You could not use the 'scroll' bars but could have buttons on the canvas for the user to press to move on to the 41st-80th record, etc.

David
Previous Topic: Calling a field from list items...Please help me!!
Next Topic: Webutil
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 10:45:41 CDT 2024