Home » Developer & Programmer » Forms » Unable to connect to Oracle database from d2k - Oracle Homes present in system registry
icon7.gif  Unable to connect to Oracle database from d2k - Oracle Homes present in system registry [message #131609] Mon, 08 August 2005 10:33 Go to next message
urs_friend
Hi All,

I'm unable to connect to personal Oracle Database from D2k on standalone system o/s is win98. I gave username/pwd and Database name it gives me the error: ora-12154 TNS could not resolve service name. Any idea will higly appreciated.

Regards,
Aliuzzama
Re: Unable to connect Oracle Database [message #131662 is a reply to message #131609] Mon, 08 August 2005 19:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
djmartin
Account Moderator
You have a tnsnames.ora file problem.

I expect that you have multiple Oracle homes - please confirm by replying with the number of Oracle Homes in your 'register'.

Make sure that each 'home' has a functioning tnsnames.ora file.

Search this forum for 'tnsnames' and 'ifile' and you will see how other people have solved this problem.

David

[Updated on: Mon, 08 August 2005 21:15]

Report message to a moderator

Unable to connect Oracle database from d2k - Oracle Homes present in system registry [message #131727 is a reply to message #131609] Tue, 09 August 2005 03:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
urs_friend
Hi All,

Please find the attached registry.doc file, The forum member Mr. David, have asked me to check the multiple Oracle_Homes in system registry and he was correct. Therefore, I find the system registry contains multiple Oracle_Homes and i also find multilple tnsnames.ora file coz i have both personal oracle8 and personal oracle8i installed in my system in the same drive. Please provide me the remedy to overcum the connection problem. God bless you all.

Regards,
Saliuzzama
  • Attachment: Registery.doc
    (Size: 24.50KB, Downloaded 1161 times)
Re: Unable to connect Oracle database from d2k - Oracle Homes present in system registry [message #131866 is a reply to message #131727] Tue, 09 August 2005 18:35 Go to previous message
djmartin
Account Moderator
Saliuzzama,

Please read the thread containing this posting http://www.orafaq.com/forum/m/130525/67467/?srch=home4#msg_130525.

The information in ALL_HOMES tells you which HOME is the current HOME. HOME_COUNTER is a count, LAST_HOME is an offset.

Make sure that your tnsnames.ora files exist in each HOME and that they point wherre you wish them to point.

David

PS Don't start a new thread when you answer, just select the 'reply' button on either your original question or the last reply.
Previous Topic: Avoiding Gaps in Sequence Number Inputs
Next Topic: Oracle & Winfax
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 00:25:47 CDT 2024