Home » Developer & Programmer » Forms » help me to make form6i read from com port (rs232)
help me to make form6i read from com port (rs232) [message #82625] Fri, 13 June 2003 13:19 Go to next message
mohamed mahdy
dear sir;
i'm working as oracle developer in company in communication field and this dayes my company bought time attendance machine
that receive all data by RF or infra from every employee card identity and may also by holdfinger all data must store in our oracle database in HR system but the software that coming with this device only *.exe and developed with visual basic and put all data in text file or database owned by him with MSaccess . how can i interface this machine with oracle through making form (oracle form2k,or 6i) to read from this device in real time
,p.s> this device connect to computer with serial port rs232. and must send to him kind of command through the application coming with it to negotiation if there data in it or no because it's store the data in its memory until i communicate with him with its application and then retrieve the data .
is there any way to help ?
the link of this device is http://www.idteck.com/english/product/star_02.html and device model(505r)
Re: help me to make form6i read from com port (rs232) [message #82637 is a reply to message #82625] Mon, 16 June 2003 00:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sun
AS per my knowledge.. from exe u cannot insert into database. What u can do is .. from the exe u can write into a text file. From the text file making text_io built in function u can write it into database..

this is how we have done in our project.

Sun
Re: help me to make form6i read from com port (rs232) [message #82640 is a reply to message #82637] Mon, 16 June 2003 09:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mohamed mahdy
thnx for replay but realy forms can do it and i hade the solution ;o) first when u want to do any thing in other 3gl languge as c++,... u must use built in packge called ora_ffi this packege interfacing with any 3gl lan. to make developer take advantage from other lang. alsoo to type the list of code to use this package it's sooooo hard soo that there are tools just point to the dll file or any code generated with other issue it's do all thing for u it's called ffigen it's a form as any form in oracle dev. but the first use u must run script come with it to create the tables that this tools use it.
soo good link see
--- www.boondog.com
----www.fors.com/eoug97/papers/0403.htm
----www.odtug.com
----www.asktom.oracle.com
----www.arrowsent.com/oratip
Re: help me to make form6i read from com port (rs232) [message #156682 is a reply to message #82625] Fri, 27 January 2006 00:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
toufiq_raja

hello sir,
i also have the time attendance machine attached with my computers com port
the application is in VB but i only have the exe
i want to read its data myself using oracle forms

did u got success to read the data, or you have any idea or clue to achieve this task

your help will be highly appriated

regards
toufiq
Re: help me to make form6i read from com port (rs232) [message #156892 is a reply to message #156682] Sun, 29 January 2006 16:32 Go to previous message
djmartin
Account Moderator
I believe that you can rename or copy the 'exe' to 'ddl' and then access the various components via ora_ffi.

Alternatively, is it acceptable to use VB to read your device and write to the Oracle database and THEN use Forms to display the information that has been stored in the database?

David
Previous Topic: Finding a Particular Record in a form
Next Topic: Forms Error and How to suppress browswer in forms 9i
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 06:31:24 CDT 2024