Home » Other » General » No Database Monitoring possible with ESL/EMB Licence?
No Database Monitoring possible with ESL/EMB Licence? [message #684924] Tue, 28 September 2021 02:04 Go to next message
jfro
Dear Community,

I am new in the oracle database field, I am orginally from the M$SQL border. Shocked
I am responsible for a Application that is tied to the Embedded Software Lizenz (ESL/EMB) by the software vendor.

We have the challenge that I expect to monitor Oracle stats like free Tablespace and so on. Especially we have to struggle with downtime that a are pro active avoidable with monitoring.

My problem is: Our Software vendor told me, that there were no options/granted access to use an monitoring system like Nagios or similar products.

1. Is that really true?
  2. Is there ANY chance to monitor a productive database stats for us as customer?
Best regards,
jfro
Re: No Database Monitoring possible with ESL/EMB Licence? [message #684925 is a reply to message #684924] Tue, 28 September 2021 02:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

You have many tools to monitor Oracle databases, including Nagios.
You can find some of them in our Freeware or Commercial products wiki pages.
In short, if you can connect to a database (with the appropriate privileges) then you can monitor it.

Re: No Database Monitoring possible with ESL/EMB Licence? [message #684926 is a reply to message #684924] Tue, 28 September 2021 03:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
You need to clarify with your supplier what licence you have. It is probably either an ASFU (Application Specific Full Use) licence or an ESL (Embedded Software Licence). See here,
https://www.orafaq.com/wiki/Oracle_licensing#Application_Specific_Full_Use_.28ASFU.29_Licensing
The key to this is as MC said:
Quote:
if you can connect to a database (with the appropriate privileges) then you can monitor it.
It is legal to connect with any tool you wish if you have an ASFU. It is not legal to connect if you have an ESL: the only permitted use is through tools provided by you application vendor, which will certainly not include such things as SQL*Plus.
Re: No Database Monitoring possible with ESL/EMB Licence? [message #684927 is a reply to message #684925] Tue, 28 September 2021 04:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jfro
Dear Michel,

thx for your very quick repy.

Michel Cadot wrote on Tue, 28 September 2021 02:45

In short, if you can connect to a database (with the appropriate privileges) then you can monitor it.
Out software vendor told me, that it is not allowed to use an different (additional) user to access the database. It is only allowed to use the database with the application user.

I thought that a professional tool like a oracle database MUST HAVE an opportunity to monitor it.

So my question: Has someone solved this kind of problem?

Best regards,
Jochen
Re: No Database Monitoring possible with ESL/EMB Licence? [message #684928 is a reply to message #684927] Tue, 28 September 2021 04:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
Quote:
So my question: Has someone solved this kind of problem?
It isn't a problem: it is a fact of the type of licence you have bought. If you have paid for only an ESL licence, you cannot do anything other than run the code your vendor has written. If you don't like that, you'll have to upgrade the licence and pay accordingly.
Re: No Database Monitoring possible with ESL/EMB Licence? [message #684929 is a reply to message #684928] Tue, 28 September 2021 05:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jfro
Hey John,

thanks for your reply. I think we have to change our licence

Best regards
Jochen
Re: No Database Monitoring possible with ESL/EMB Licence? [message #684930 is a reply to message #684927] Tue, 28 September 2021 07:26 Go to previous message
EdStevens
Quote:
I thought that a professional tool like a oracle database MUST HAVE an opportunity to monitor it.
Oracle database certainly has many built-in monitoring capabilities, and certainly any 3d party monitoring software that is "oracle aware" can monitor it.

The problem is not with the database, but with what is permitted under your specific license.
Previous Topic: Licensing confusion
Next Topic: Autonomous Database (shared vs. dedicated)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 05:41:17 CDT 2024