Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Transactions are failing due to insufficient space in the undo tablespace (Oracle 12.2.0.1, Linux 6)
Transactions are failing due to insufficient space in the undo tablespace [message #683971] Thu, 11 March 2021 04:35 Go to next message
BalajiDBA
Hi Oracle gurus,

This is an interview question.

Developer is doing a transaction and it is failing due to insufficient space in the undo tablespace.
Could you please provide the solution for this issue other than increasing the undo tablespace.

Environment is prod.

Regards,
Balaji
Re: Transactions are failing due to insufficient space in the undo tablespace [message #683972 is a reply to message #683971] Thu, 11 March 2021 05:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

After more than 12 years as a DBA you still don't know how to manage undo space?
Why are you still trying to get such a job?

Re: Transactions are failing due to insufficient space in the undo tablespace [message #683973 is a reply to message #683972] Thu, 11 March 2021 08:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BalajiDBA
Quote:
After more than 12 years as a DBA you still don't know how to manage undo space?
This issue is not about managing undo tablespace.If you had read my question clearly, you wouldn't have asked me such question.
Quote:
Why are you still trying to get such a job?
That's none of your business.

If you don't know the answer for this question just keep quiet, let others answer.

Regards,
Balaji

[Updated on: Thu, 11 March 2021 08:04]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Transactions are failing due to insufficient space in the undo tablespace [message #683974 is a reply to message #683973] Thu, 11 March 2021 08:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

Explain your question then.
For myself, I've always been able to manage such errors and problems.

[Updated on: Thu, 11 March 2021 08:25]

Re: Transactions are failing due to insufficient space in the undo tablespace [message #683977 is a reply to message #683974] Fri, 12 March 2021 01:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
Your putative interviewer may be less interested in whether you have memorized answers than in whether you have any problem solving skills. For example, you could begin by asking "What is the error? Is it, for example, an ora-30036 ?" If so:
C:\Users\john>
C:\Users\john>oerr ora 30036
30036, 00000, "unable to extend segment by %s in undo tablespace '%s'"
// *Cause:   the specified undo tablespace has no more space available.
// *Action:  Add more space to the undo tablespace before retrying
//           the operation. An alternative is to wait until active
//           transactions to commit.

C:\Users\john>
Re: Transactions are failing due to insufficient space in the undo tablespace [message #683978 is a reply to message #683974] Fri, 12 March 2021 22:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BalajiDBA
Explain your question then.[/quote]
I have already explained my question in this thread.

Quote:
For myself, I've always been able to manage such errors and problems.
I didn't ask whether you managed such errors or not. I asked solution to my question.

Re: Transactions are failing due to insufficient space in the undo tablespace [message #683979 is a reply to message #683977] Fri, 12 March 2021 22:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BalajiDBA
Quote:
Your putative interviewer may be less interested in whether you have memorized answers than in whether you have any problem solving skills. For example, you could begin by asking "What is the error? Is it, for example, an ora-30036 ?" If so:
I asked him but he said there were no errors for this issue.
Re: Transactions are failing due to insufficient space in the undo tablespace [message #683980 is a reply to message #683978] Fri, 12 March 2021 23:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

BalajiDBA wrote on Sat, 13 March 2021 05:53
Quote:
Explain your question then.
I have already explained my question in this thread.

No, you didn't.
This is one the problems, you don't understand your question.
The proof: your question is "transaction [...] is failing due to insufficient space in the undo tablespace"
How do you know the transaction is failing? How do you know it is for this reason? How is this not about managing undo space? Do you understand my question?

As I already told you many times in these years and John reminded in this topic: "Your putative interviewer may be less interested in whether you have memorized answers than in whether you have any problem solving skills".

Anyway, it is just a wasting of time to try to explain you something because during these last 13 years:
1/ You showed you couldn't read the documentation
2/ You showed you couldn't search in the documentation
3/ You showed you couldn't search in the web
4/ You showed you couldn't understand what we explained
5/ You showed you couldn't even memorize what we said as you often repeated the same questions over the years

In the end, you showed you didn't want to help others when you said you had the answer as you refused to post it.

[Updated on: Sat, 13 March 2021 00:39]

Re: Transactions are failing due to insufficient space in the undo tablespace [message #683981 is a reply to message #683980] Sat, 13 March 2021 01:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BalajiDBA

[Edit MC: coarse abuse removed]

[Updated on: Sat, 13 March 2021 01:54] by Moderator

Re: Transactions are failing due to insufficient space in the undo tablespace [message #683982 is a reply to message #683981] Sat, 13 March 2021 01:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

You're falling again in the bad behavior you promised you won't.

[Updated on: Mon, 15 March 2021 11:40]

Re: Transactions are failing due to insufficient space in the undo tablespace [message #683991 is a reply to message #683982] Mon, 15 March 2021 10:56 Go to previous message
EdStevens
Quote:
Developer is doing a transaction and it is failing due to insufficient space in the undo tablespace.
Then later ...

Quote:
I asked him but he said there were no errors for this issue.
Did it not occur to you to ask how it failed, if there were no errors?
Did it not occur to you to ask how it is known - with no errors - that the 'no error' failure was due to insufficient undo space?

Quote:
Environment is prod.
How would you imagine that the solution for 'insufficient undo space' is different for prod that "not prod"? In other words, how is knowing the environement is "prod" relevant to the solution?

Previous Topic: Restrict email recipients
Next Topic: SYS Account locked
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 17:35:37 CDT 2024