Home » Server Options » RAC & Failsafe » [INS-30512] Automatic Storage Management software is not configured on this cluster (Oracle Database 12.1.0.2, Oracle Linux 7.5)
[INS-30512] Automatic Storage Management software is not configured on this cluster [message #669697] Tue, 08 May 2018 08:05 Go to next message
ZenDJ
Hello gurus,

I'm attempting to create a two node RAC installation (12.1.0.2) using ASM on Oracle Linux 7.5. As the grid user, I've successfully created the ASM disks, installed the grid software (using OUI), created a diskgroup called DATA and tested that after installation the diskgroup is successfully mounted and available from both nodes. Instances +ASM1 on node1 and +ASM2 on node2 are both up and running, and the SCAN-VIPs and listeners are all online.

However, when I attempt to create a database as the oracle user (using OUI), I get the following error (see attached screenshot):

[INS-30512] Automatic Storage Management software is not configured on this cluster

The diskgroup attributes for ASM compatibility (12.1) and RDBMS compatibility (10.1) are set as per the defaults and seems to be correct according to MOS Doc ID 2198630.1

I've searched the MOS notes and couldn't find anything that addresses this issue. Searches on this site as well as general Google searches haven't yielded much success either. Can anyone point me in the right direction with solving this issue? I'm pretty sure it's something banal, but after days of poring through the documentation, my eyes have glazed over and perhaps I'm missing something simple. Any help with this would be appreciated.

---
Kind regards
  • Attachment: ASM_Error.JPG
    (Size: 83.43KB, Downloaded 3714 times)
Re: [INS-30512] Automatic Storage Management software is not configured on this cluster [message #669698 is a reply to message #669697] Tue, 08 May 2018 08:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
Welcome to the forum. Please read the OraFAQ Forum Guide and How to use code tags and make your code easier to read

It is a not uncommon problem, and documented in MOS: see Doc ID 1316815.1

or you can edit the OUI inventory files directly rather than doing it the way that note suggests.

[Updated on: Tue, 08 May 2018 08:12]

Report message to a moderator

Re: [INS-30512] Automatic Storage Management software is not configured on this cluster [message #669701 is a reply to message #669698] Tue, 08 May 2018 09:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ZenDJ
Hello John,

Thank you for the swift response. I tried the command in Doc ID 1316815.1 (after ensuring the env variables were set, and substituting the node names for my node names):

$GRID_HOME/oui/bin/runInstaller -silent -ignoreSysPrereqs -updateNodeList ORACLE_HOME=$GRID_HOME "CLUSTER_NODES={mynode1,mynode2>}" CRS=true

The command updated the inventory successfully. However, rerunning OUI to install the database fails at exactly the same place with exactly the same error. Any other suggestions as to what I should check?

---
Kind regards
Re: [INS-30512] Automatic Storage Management software is not configured on this cluster [message #669704 is a reply to message #669701] Tue, 08 May 2018 12:49 Go to previous message
John Watson
Just do a few searches for PRVF-4037 and see what you find. And check that the inventories on both nodes are updated correctly, with CRS=TRUE. That has always worked for me.

I think the underlying problem is performance. I've hit the problem a few times when running on little Virtual Boxes on my laptop. OUI is all Java, and (like so many Java programs) it stuffs up the concurrent update of files on different machines. There's no such thing as two phase commit when you are writing to files.

Previous Topic: How to create a service that fails over in a 2 node admin-managed RAC
Next Topic: Oracle cold failover cluster
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 14:15:57 CDT 2024