Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » con file
con file [message #372779] Thu, 08 March 2001 19:36 Go to next message
JOHN
hi, i am new to oracle. how do i create a .con file ?
please email me soon. thanks.
Re: con file [message #372782 is a reply to message #372779] Fri, 09 March 2001 07:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ulrich Ruckteschler
Why do you want one ?

I assume you ask how to create a Controlfile for a database (extensions are whatever you set them).
1. One or more controlfiles are created for you when you create your database using the CREATE DATABASE command. The locations and names of the controlfile(s) which are created are those that you specified in your parameter file initSID.ora for the control_files-parameter.
Since the Oracle Instance does manage the controlfile for you there is no need to create another one, EXCEPT for mirroring purposes. If you want to mirror your controlfile, which is highly recommended (because you cannot even mount your database without a controlfile) you should do the following:
-Shutdown your database
-Make a copy of the controlfile on a different disk
-Add the location and name of the second controlfile to the control_files-parameter of your parameter file initSID.ora
-startup your database

From now on Oracle maintains 2 controlfiles for you.
Regards
Ulrich
Re: con file [message #372816 is a reply to message #372779] Sun, 11 March 2001 23:26 Go to previous message
vishal gupta
Dear Ulrich Ruckteschler,

Copying a control file to another disk and mentioning that in init.ora file, is called MULTIPLEXING not mirroring. Mirroring is done at the OS/hardware level. There is no need to modify init.ora in mirroring.

Regards,
Vishal
Previous Topic: Stop log temporary tables. Need real Nologging
Next Topic: Urgent
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Jun 29 13:53:41 CDT 2024